Baked Shepherd's Pie. American favorite shepherd's pie recipe, casserole with ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, corn, and peas, topped with mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie - perfect comfort food for cold winter days. Follw this recipe to learn how to make perfect shepherd's pie.
This easy shepherd's pie is a layered casserole of ground beef and veggies in a homemade gravy. It's topped with Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. A really good Shepherd's Pie should always start with a soffrito Simmer until the sauce is thickened, spread in a baking dish then top with creamy mashed potato. You can cook Baked Shepherd's Pie using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Baked Shepherd's Pie
- It's 500 grams of Potatoes.
- Prepare 150 grams of Ground beef and pork mix.
- Prepare 1/2 medium of sized Onion.
- You need 70 ml of Milk.
- It's 30 grams of Easy melting cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Soy sauce.
- It's 1 dash of Pepper.
- You need 1 dash of Nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper (For the mashed potatoes).
- Prepare 1 of Whisked eggs (This helps to brown the recipe more easily; optional).
Shepherd's pie is an easy, thrifty dish that anyone can enjoy. It is hearty, comforting, and can warm you up on chilly nights. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce.
Baked Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes, cut into fourths, and boil..
- Finely chop the onions, and sauté in a pan coated with vegetable oil (not listed, about 1 teaspoon) until they become transparent..
- Add the ground meat, cook until it changes color, add salt, soy sauce, pepper, and nutmeg and sauté some more..
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain, season with salt and pepper, and mash..
- Once they are pretty well mashed, add milk and mix thoroughly (Adjust the firmness to your liking with milk). Taste, and add more salt if needed..
- Put half of the mashed potatoes into a casserole dish, and spread it out evenly..
- Add all of the ground meat from step 3, and top with cheese..
- Divide the remaining mashed potatoes into 3 equal portions and scatter on top..
- Press it out evenly with plastic wrap..
- Coat it with whisked egg; use a fork to make a pattern, and cook at 480°F/250°C for 15 minutes, and then at 570°F/300°C for another 5-6 minutes..
- You are done once it turns golden brown!.
- *If you are having trouble getting it to turn golden brown, I have a little trick... Mix 1 teaspoon of Mirin in with the whisked eggs and coat, and it will turn golden brown easily..
- **If you don't have Mirin, then bake at 570°F/300°C from the start until it browns, and then reduce the heat..
I made shepherd's pie (AKA Cottage Pie) FIVE times this week Broiled vs. One thing I found it testing that there was no point in baking the layered pie at. Traditional Shepherd's Pie utilizes ground lamb, but I grew up with the ground beef version, Cottage Pie. Whatever you call it, this Shepherd's Pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food. A Shepherd's Pie made the traditional British way (with lamb).