Classic Apple Crumb Pie.
You can have Classic Apple Crumb Pie using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Classic Apple Crumb Pie
- You need 4 lb of apples such as granny smith peeled cored and sliced 1/4 inche thick.
- It's 2/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- You need 4 tbsp of butter.
- It's 2 tbsp of flour.
- It's 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It's 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It's 1 of 9 inche unbaked pie crust homemade or store bought such pillsbury rolled crust fitted into 9 inche pie dish and chilled while preparing filling and topping.
- You need 1 of recipe of crumb topping ingredients listed below.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of apple pie spice mix or cinnamon.
- You need 1/4 cup of toffee chips.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of butter.
Classic Apple Crumb Pie step by step
- Place apples and lemon juice and sugar on a bowl and toss to coat.
- Heat butter in a large skillet add apples and cook stirring often until just softened but holding their shape, add flour, cinnamon and salt cook just until blended transfer to a bowl and chill. This can be done up to 2 days in advance.
- Make crumb topping This is best also made in advance and chilled and added cold before baking..
- Melt butter in microwave just until warm in a large bowl, add flour light brown sugar, papple pie spice and toffee chips combine with a fork until just crumbly.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 425. The recipe as written us for 1 9 inch pie. I also make 4 individual pies with this recipe using tart pans. The picture above is made with tart pans. Either way is good!.
- Spoon apple filling into pie shell, top evenly with crumb topping place on baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Cool on rack.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- This way of cooking the filling before baking takes all the quess work out of undercooking the apples or overcooking the crust, when the crust is golden the pie is perfect! Also you can prep the apples and topping up to 2 days in advance and just put it in your pie crust and have fresh warm pie in minutes!!.