Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe. Pastel Tutup is an Indonesian dish inspired by Dutch/European dish. Similar concept to British cottage pie or Dutch ovenschotel, but with different filling. This is my grandma (Oma Liem)'s recipe, provided kindly by my Aunty Bwee.
It is incredibly delicious and such great comfort food. Pastel tutup is what they call this shepeherd's pie it in Indonesia. This is quite different from the pastel ayam (Indonesian Empanadas). You can have Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe
- Prepare 600-700 gr of potatoes (any variety that is good for mash) or mixed with celeriac for lighter choice.
- It's 1 of medium shallot, chopped.
- You need 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- It's 2 of medium carrot, cubed approx. 0.5cm.
- It's 250-300 gr of cubed (05.cm) meat of your choice (chicken/pork/beef/cooked prawn/sausage/tinned spam) or vegetarian meat substitute or tofu.
- Prepare 1 handful of thinly sliced wood ear mushroom (Auricularia auricula-judae aka jelly ear or Jew's ear or black fungus. In Indonesian known as jamur kuping).
- It's 1 handful of glass noodle (soaked in hot water for no longer than 2 minutes then drain).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of peas (frozen or fresh or tin).
- It's 100-150 ml of stock (chicken or vegetable or beef stock).
- It's of Milk or corn flour (optional).
- Prepare of Parsley and/or chives, chopped.
- It's 4 of Boiled eggs (optional), cut into quarters.
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of grated cheese (cheddar or any type you like).
- You need 1 pinch of Salt, Pepper.
- You need 1 pinch of ground nutmeg (optional).
Pastel tutup has a stir-fried filling usually consists of ground meat, veggies, bean thread noodles It bears a lot of similarities with Shepherd's Pie or Cottage Pie. Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe from Grandma Liem. Pastel Tutup. (Indonesian dish inspired by Dutch/European dish. Similar concept to British cottage pie or Dutch ovenschotel, but with different filling).
Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe step by step
- Steam or boil the potatoes (and/or celeriac if you like) then mash it with a touch of butter. If you like creamier mash add milk as you like..
- Stir fry the chopped onion and shallots until soft. Add the cubbed carrot, meat (or vegetarian substitute), peas (if use tinned pea, add this last), mushroom. Add the glass noodle and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Pour stock. If you want it creamy, add a few spoonful of milk or corn flour mixed with water. Add the chopped herbs (parsley/chives).
- Transfer the filling into an oven proof dish. If using boiled egg, arrange the quartered eggs on top..
- Cover with mash potato. Brush with egg and sprinkle some grated cheese..
- Bake in the oven 190-200C for 30-40 minutes (until the top is golden brown)..
- Serve with salad (if you like), mayonnaise and (if you have Indonesian taste) chilli sauce (Sambal ABC or sriracha)..
Pastel Tutup or Indonesian-style Sheperd's Pie is a lovely dish which I never knew existed until I was in my twenties. Traditionally Pastel Tutup is made using ground chicken but since I'm vegan, I'm using tempeh for this recipe. I also use coconut milk instead of dairy milk and my trusted vegan butter. Bahan : - daging ayam ( rebus, potong kotak-kotak kecil) - buncis ( potong kotak-kotak, rebus sebentar) - wortel ( dipotong kotak-kotak, rebus. Indonesian Shepherd's Pie aka Pastel Tutup.